Canh chua rau muong is sour spinach soup, but I think it should be called sweet and sour spinach soup! Sour soup doesn’t sound as appetizing, and it is actually perfectly balanced with sweetness.
It’s a simple soup with water spinach that is sweet just as much as it is sour. And in Vietnamese cuisine, soup (canh) is served with Jasmine rice.
My uncle-in-law has a brother who grows water spinach, so he used to bring over this soup, and I would get so excited!! Now he just brings over the spinach, and I make my own.
Sour Spinach Soup (canh chua rau muong)
It’s a simple soup with water spinach that is sweet just as much as it is sour.
- Soak dried shrimp in warm water for 10-15 minutes. If using fresh shrimp, you can add them with the spinach at the end.
- Heat a stockpot on medium heat for 1 minute. Add oil and garlic. Sauté for 30 seconds until fragrant. Add shrimp and tomato wedges and cook for a couple of minutes until tomatoes soften and release their juice.
- Add water and turn the temperature to high. Add all the seasonings: fish sauce, sugar, tamarind packet, and mushroom bouillon.
- Once the water boils, add all of the spinach and push to submerge it under the water.
- Bring it to a boil. Taste and adjust for seasoning. Serve with rice.